Metro Manila, Philippines (August 23, 2016) – Cause-oriented basketball event UNTV Cup begins its fifth season on August 29 at the SM Mall of Asia (MOA) Arena.
Aside from entertainment, the tournament with the slogan “Ang Liga ng Public Servants” (English: “The League of Public Servants”), aims to gather government agencies by playing basketball for charity. Each team will have to choose a charitable institution as beneficiary. The champion will get the opportunity to donate the biggest part of the cash prize. Other teams will also receive cash grants for their team and for their chosen beneficiaries at the end of the season.
UNTV Cup was conceptualized by Bro. Daniel S. Razon, also known as “Kuya Daniel,” the Chairman and CEO of UNTV-Breakthrough and Milestones Productions International (BMPI). Games are being aired in public service channel, UNTV News and Rescue. Its first season was opened in July 2013. The project is aimed to promote unity, camaraderie and physical fitness among government officials in the country.
Below is the official television commercial of UNTV Cup Season 5 courtesy of UNTV News and Rescue’s YouTube channel.
Total of 13 government agencies
For the fifth season, the league welcomed the Bureau of Customs (BOC), making the number of participating teams to 13. BOC’s basketball team will be called the “Transformers.” Here is the complete list of UNTV Cup Season 5 teams in alphabetical order:
- Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP Cavaliers)
- Bureau of Customs (BOC Transformers)
- Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP Firefighters)
- Department of Justice (Justice Boosters)
- Government Service Insurance System (GSIS Furies)
- House of Representatives (HOR Solons)
- Judiciary (Judiciary Magis)
- Malacañang (Malacañang Patriots)
- Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA Black Wolves)
- National Housing Authority (NHA Builders)
- Office of the Ombudsman (Ombudsman Graft Busters)
- Philippine National Police (PNP Responders)
- Senate of the Philippines (Senate Defenders)
Playing for charity
The UNTV Cup Season 5 organizing committee is yet to announce the cash prize pool for this season. Meanwhile, a total of Php 7.2 million out of Php 8.3 million pesos total cash prize pool were given to beneficiaries and charities of all the participants during UNTV Cup Season 4.
Season 4’s champion team AFP Cavaliers got a total of Php 4 million cash, Php 500,000 for their team and Php 3.5 million went to the AFP Educational Benefit System Office. Second placer PNP Responders got a total of Php 2 million cash, Php 300,000 for their team and Php 1.7 for the PNP Sports Development Program and the Sangguniang Masang Pilipino, Inc.
From Seasons 1 to 3, each of the champion teams gave more than Php 1 million to their chosen beneficiaries:
- Victims of calamities in Central Visayas and war in Southern Philippines (Team Judiciary, Season 1)
- AFP Educational Benefit System Office (AFP Cavaliers, Season 2)
- Supreme Court employees who are sick or injured while on duty (Judiciary Magis, Season 3)
UNTV News and Rescue airs on UHF analog channel 37 and UHF digital channel 38 (test broadcast frequency: 617143) in Mega Manila, SkyCable channel 33 (analog) and channel 58 (digital), Destiny Cable channel 9, Cable Link channel 77, Cignal channel 92 (nationwide), SkyDirect channel 40 (nationwide) and other local cable operators. [techthetruth]
- UNTV News and Rescue announces digital terrestrial TV expansion plans
- Re-branding: UNTV Life is now UNTV News and Rescue
- PLDT, Smart submit three-year network roll-out plan to NTC, activate LTE cell sites
- Progressive Broadcasting Corporation (UNTV) franchise renewed for another 25 years
- A milestone in religious broadcasting: Ang Dating Daan aired through Facebook Live
- Nation of God: MCGI celebrates three-day “Thanksgiving of God’s People” for the second quarter of 2016
- Now brewing: Daniel’s Coffee brings a coffee shop in a TV studio