Seoul, Korea (October 11, 2016) – World’s largest smartphone maker Samsung Electronics issued an alert to customers on October 10, asking users worldwide to immediately turn off their Galaxy Note7 smartphones and stop using the device. It also called a global halt to the sale and exchange of the device, citing continued safety concerns, which have been reported catching fire.
It was more than a month after Samsung announced a global recall of 2.5 million Note7 phone units in 10 international markets after receiving numerous complaints that their Note7 exploded while charging or in normal use. The company previously explained that faulty lithium-ion batteries were overheating the device and causing it to ignite.The situation also worsened when reports emerged a week ago of replacement phones also catching fire.
Samsung said its working with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to investigate of the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. While investigation is ongoing, the company said it will “ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7.” The company also advised any consumer with an original or replacement Galaxy Note7 to “power down and stop using the device” immediately.
The statement came after media reports about the temporary halt of Galaxy Note7 production. It was the first formal acknowledgement of the company regarding safety concerns on its flagship device.
Samsung also said that customers should shutdown their Note7 phones and “take advantage of the remedies available,” including “a full refund” at “place of purchase.”
Samsung released Galaxy Note7 device in August 2016 in anticipation of Apple’s new iPhone 7. [techthetruth]