Manila, Philippines (October 26, 2016) – A Song of Praise (ASOP) Music Festival will hold its grand finals this November 7 at the SMART Araneta Coliseum. Currently on its 5th year, ASOP is the only gospel music songwriting festival on Philippine television.
The 12 finalists for this year’s ASOP Music Festival are:
- “God Will Always Make a Way” – composed by Glenn Bawa and Ronald Calpis, interpreted by Bugoy Drilon (November 2015)
- “Tapat Mong Pangako” – composed by Gulliver Enverga, interpreted by The Voysing (December 2015)
- “Ikaw Lamang” – composed by Jonathan Sta. Rita, interpreted by Tim Pavino (January 2016)
- “Ikaw Pala” – composed by Wilfredo Gaspar, interpreted by Ima Castro (February 2016)
- “Tanging Ligaya” – composed by Angelica Soriano, interpreted by Zendee (March 2016)
- “Ang Iyong Pangalan” – composed by Romarico Mendiola Jr., interpreted by Jovit Baldovino (April 2016)
- “Patawarin Mo Ako” – composed by Fernando Gardon, interpreted by Kris Lawrence (May 2016)
- “Araw at Ulan” – composed by Joselito Caleon, interpreted by Sitti (June 2016)
- “Pag-Ibig Ka Oh Dios” – composed by LJ Mansano, interpreted by the JBK (July 2016)
- “Mula Sa Aking Puso” – composed by Joseph Ponce, interpreted by Carlo David (August 2016)
- “Kumapit Ka Lang” – composed by Noemi Ocio, interpreted by Mela Ravanilla (September 2016)
- “You Stood by Me” – composed by Vincent Labanting, interpreted by Jason Fernandez (October 2016)
Finalists are already preparing for the finals night. The interpreters and composers of ASOP Year 5 will be boarding the Wish 107.5 Bus and will be guesting in UNTV’s morning show Good Morning Kuya to promote their entries.
Also less than two weeks before the finals night, online voting is opened at www.asoptv.com/poll specifically for the “Peoples’ Choice Award” category. You may click the image below to vote and watch the official YouTube videos of all the entries.
The official list of judges for the grand finals is yet to be announced. Winning song entries will be judged based on musical content including the melody, harmony and lyrics and the overall appeal of the song. In previous years’ grand finals, ASOP organizers invited prominent personalities in music and recording industry as judges, such as Maestro Ryan Cayabyab, Joey De Leon, Danny Javier, Celeste Legaspi, Jungee Marcelo, Jim Paredes, Jamie Rivera, Senator Tito Sotto and ASOP’s resident judge, Mon “Dr. Musiko” Del Rosario.
The tilt is open to all amateur and professional songwriters, regardless of race or religious affiliation. For the whole year, ASOP is searching for the best songs of praise through the weekly ASOP TV program. Submitted entries are performed onstage and judged by a panel of acclaimed singers and songwriters headed by Dr. Mon Del Rosario. Weekly winners will compete in monthly eliminations for an assured slot in the grand finals.
A cash prize of Php 500,000 will be received by the composer of the winning “Song of the Year,” Php 250,000 for the 1st runner up, Php 150,000 for the 2nd runner up and Php 100,000 for the 3rd runner-up. Winners of the “Best Song Interpreter” and “People’s Choice Award” will also receive Php 50,000 each. Non-winners will receive Php 20,000 as consolation prize.
Gospel music on television, radio
ASOP aims to bring back gospel music in the daily lives of people by showcasing songs of praises with beautiful melodies and sincere lyrics, hoping that it will help remind of God’s love and encourage everyone to give glory and thanksgiving to God.
ASOP is produced by Breakthrough and Milestones Productions International (BMPI), UNTV’s content provider. It started as an internal songwriting contest inside the Members Church of God International (MCGI) since 2004, conceptualized by Bro. Eli Soriano, Overall Servant (Presiding Minister) to MCGI. In 2011, Kuya Daniel Razon, MCGI’s Assitant to the Overall Servant and BMPI’s Chairman and CEO, decided to bring it on mainstream television and radio. MCGI is also known for its religious program “Ang Dating Daan.”
ASOP Music Festival on television is hosted by Richard Reynoso and Toni Rose Gayda. It airs every Sunday, 7 pm on UNTV News and Rescue. It is being simulcast over UNTV Radio La Verdad 1350 KHz on the AM band. In October 2015, ASOP sealed a partnership with Wish FM 107.5 to air gospel songs from the ASOP collection, every Sunday from 5 am to 6 am.
Last year, “Kung Pag-ibig Mo’y Ulan” composed by Christian Malinias and interpreted by Leah Patricio was awarded Song of the Year. Previous winners were “May Awa ang Dios,” composed by Louise Lyle Robles and interpreted by Beverly Caimen (2014), “Ikaw,” composed by Boy Christopher Ramos Jr. and interpreted by Jonalyn “Jona” Viray (2013) and “Purihin Mo Ang Dios Oh Pilipinas,” composed by Anton Estrella Jr. and interpreted by Gail Blanco (2012). Watch the official TV plug of ASOP Year 5 below. [techthetruth]
- UNTV News and Rescue announces digital terrestrial TV expansion plans
- ABS-CBN TVPlus may soon offer digital TV box with WiFi
- MCGI celebrates ‘Thanksgiving of God’s People’ for Q3 2016
- MCGI’s TV Verdade expands reach to more than 10 cities in Brazil
- Globe’s free GoWiFi service now in 500 locations
- LRT-MRT common station to be built between SM North, Trinoma
- UNTV starts reporting news in local dialects, foreign languages
- Re-branding: UNTV Life is now UNTV News and Rescue
- Wish 107.5 now on its 2nd year, still No. 1 FM YouTube channel in the Philippines
- Progressive Broadcasting Corporation (UNTV) franchise renewed for another 25 years
- A milestone in religious broadcasting: Ang Dating Daan aired through Facebook Live
- Now brewing: Daniel’s Coffee brings a coffee shop in a TV studio