Quezon City, Philippines (December 12, 2016) – Public service channel UNTV News and Rescue will soon launch a new children’s channel dubbed as “Kids Nation Channel” or KNC. It will be available on free-to-air television via digital television (DTV).
KNC is an advocacy channel for children and will feature programs on arts, sports, science and technology and news reporting for kids. It will also feature a reality show shot inside a pre-school classroom.
KNC will occupy UNTV-2 sub-channel in Mega Manila (frequency: 617143) once already on-air.
On December 7, Kuya Daniel Razon, during his morning show Good Morning Kuya said that UNTV is preparing to launch a children’s television anytime soon. He is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Breakthrough and Milestones Productions International (BMPI), UNTV’s exclusive content provider.
“We are happy to announce we will be launching ang atin pong isang panibagong channel, which is going to be a children’s channel, ito po ang “Kids Nation Channel.” Kaya makikita na ninyo ‘yan, mapapanood na ninyo sa mga darating na hinaharap. Yung para sa bata, gawa ng bata, tungkol sa bata, lahat ho ng mga bagay na yan,” Kuya Daniel Razon said.
Watch Kuya Daniel Razon’s announcement last December 7 on Good Morning Kuya (timestamp: 01:03:38 to 01:06:01):
The new channel aims to help the less-privileged, those parents finding it difficult to bring their children to formal schooling, especially in pre-school, due to financial constraints.
Kuya Daniel said “We will have our school-on-air. Ito yung tipong pagka nasa bahay yung mga nanay, ang gagawin lang nila, ayain mo lang yung anak mo, buksan mo yung TV, mapapanood mo na yung teacher, iga-guide mo na lang din yung anak mo. Matututunan na yung tinuturo sa eskwela, yung tinuturo mismo sa eskwela, matututunan ng anak mo.”
“May module na and we’re coming up with iba’t-ibang pamamaraan po para yung hindi nakakapag-aral na mga bata, diba minsan, lalo na yung mga pre-schoolers. Ngayon ang mga may benefit sa pre-schools, yung mga may pera, pero yung iba, mga wala namang kakayahan talaga, papasok nalang yan, hindi na nga minsan pinagki-kinder. Minsan talagang derecho na [sa] grade one,” he added.
KNC will have tie-ups with various government agencies to have the students certified upon completion of the modules, same concept with distance learning.
According to Kuya Daniel “Later on, we’re having a tie-up sa iba’t-ibang sangay ng pamahalaan na pu-puwede na rin silang magpa-rehistro, na you will be certified, para kang nag-aral sa eskwelahan, na nakuha mo lang yung lahat ng modules sa pamamagitan ng panonood, para ka ng nag-home school, nag-distance learning. You’ll have all the benefits of these program po sa telebisyon. And just help us pray na sana yung lahat ng pinapasimulan natin, maipagpatuloy natin.”
UNTV is an active member of Anak TV, an organization which recognizes personalities as “Makabata Star,” someone who is worthy of emulation by children. The iconic Anak TV Seal were also given to television programs which are wholesome and child-safe based on assessment by parents, teachers, NGOs and other sectors of society.
Elvira Yap Go, President of Anak TV said “Nagpapasalamat kami kay Kuya Daniel, dahil nung kami po ay nag-courtesy call and sinasabi namin yung concern namin na nawawala na po ang mga programang na pambata, agad-agad sabi niya ide-dedicate ko, magke-create ako ng isang cable channel para sa mga bata.”
Also on the same date, Kuya Daniel was recognized as one of the “Makabata Star” awardee while 22 programs from UNTV News and Rescue got an Anak TV Seal for 2016.
Digital Television Transition
The Philippine government adopted the Japanese standard for digital television broadcast called Integrated Services Digital Broadcasting-Terrestrial (ISDB-T) in 2010.
It will eventually replace all analog broadcasts which is prone to interference and signal distortion.
Digital television technology is capable of simultaneously airing multiple TV channels or programs, also called as subchannels, in a single frequency.
It gives televiewers more program options, unlike in analog where it is limited to only one channel. It also produces high quality picture and sound compared to the analog system.
Upon purchase of a DTV set top box, also known as digibox, to be connected to the existing television set, viewers will be able to watch digital channels for free. Currently, a few LED TV’s and mobile phones come with built-in ISDB-T tuner.
The NTC has directed the local television industry to make a complete transition to digital by 2020.
Currently, ABS-CBN has been the leader in the digital switchover. It already sold more than 2 million digital TV boxes, branded as TVPlus or Mahiwagang Blackbox, as of November 2016, and can now be received in more than 10 provinces nationwide.
Other local brands also started selling their own versions of digital boxes. These boxes can receive all free-to-air digital channels.
UNTV already started its digital test broadcast in 2014, initially available in Metro Manila, Rizal, Bulacan, Pampanga, Cavite and Laguna and currently rolling-out digital-ready relay stations in the provinces. [techthetruth]
Watch UNTV’s report on Kids Nation Channel:
- Ang Dating Daan Marks 36 Years of Fruitful Evangelization by Giving 8,000 Bibles for Free, Doing Public Service
- Ang Dating Daan, the Longest-Airing Religious Program in the Philippines with A Heart for the Poor, Celebrates 36th Anniversary
- MCGI Collaborates With PNP: Drug Surrenderers Undergo Reformation Program in Caba, La Union
- ASOP TV: Bringing the Best of Praise Music for 5 Years Now
- Ang Dating Daan (The Old Path) marks 36th year in religious broadcasting
- Watch: 12 grand finalists of ‘A Song of Praise (ASOP) Year 5’
- MCGI celebrates ‘Thanksgiving of God’s People’ for Q3 2016
- MCGI’s TV Verdade expands reach to more than 10 cities in Brazil
- A milestone in religious broadcasting: Ang Dating Daan aired through Facebook Live
In case you missed:
- UNTV News and Rescue announces digital terrestrial TV expansion plans
- Globe Launches Pocket WiFi Trade-in Promo, Get New LTE Device for Only Php 600
- ABS-CBN TVPlus may soon offer digital TV box with WiFi
- LRT-MRT common station to be built between SM North, Trinoma
- Globe’s free GoWiFi service now in 500 locations
- UNTV starts reporting news in local dialects, foreign languages
- Re-branding: UNTV Life is now UNTV News and Rescue
- Wish 107.5 now on its 2nd year, still No. 1 FM YouTube channel in the Philippines
- Progressive Broadcasting Corporation (UNTV) franchise renewed for another 25 years
- Now brewing: Daniel’s Coffee brings a coffee shop in a TV studio