Manila, Philippines (January 23, 2017) – Elementary teacher Joylaine Canonio is moving on to the semifinals of “Tawag ng Tanghalan” after she defended her title for the fifth time on ABS-CBN’s noontime program “It’s Showtime” Monday afternoon.
Canonio became the sixth semifinalist for Quarter 4 (2016) after getting an average score of 92.8 percent for her rendition of Sarah Geronimo’s hit “If Only.” Her challenger from Visayas Yssa Romano got 89.8 percent for her performance of Christina Perri’s “A Thousand Years.”
Canonio has earned fans not just for her impressive and powerful voice but also because of her dedication in teaching children in a far-flung elementary school in the province of Sarangani in Mindanao.
Despite travelling four hours a day just to teach her students, Canonio said she does not regret her decision to become a teacher as she considers her students as her inspiration, knowing that she can help these children achieve their dreams.
On Wednesday (January 18), she became the daily contender after singing Morissette Amon’s “Akin Ka Na Lang.”
On the same date, she dethroned defending champion Ruben Tejano with her cover of “On the Wings of Love.” With a score of 94.2 percent, she defeated Tejano, a prison guard, who scored 90.8 percent.
She kept her title for the second time on Thursday (January 19) after belting out Beyonce’s “Listen,” which earned her a judges’ score of 94.6 percent.
On Friday (January 20), she received a standing ovation from judges K Brosas, Karylle and Ogie Alcasid. She bagged her third win after getting a score of 95.6 percent in her powerful rendition of “One Moment In Time” by Whitney Houston.
She nabbed her fourth straight win on Saturday (January 21) with her cover of Angeline Quinto’s “Patuloy Ang Pangarap” with a score of 91.6 percent.
Though she already got an assured slot in the semifinals, she decided to continue her journey and return to the singing contest on Tuesday (January 22). “Kahit nami-miss ko na po sila [her students], ipagpapatuloy ko pa rin po,” said Joylaine. [techthetruth]
- MCGI Collaborates With PNP: Drug Surrenderers Undergo Reformation Program in Caba, La Union
- Morissette Amon Sweeps Most Titles at 2nd Wish 107.5 Music Awards
- Full List: Winners of 2nd Wish 107.5 Music Awards (WMA)
- LOOK: DOTr Bares Proposed Design of Php 2.8 Billion MRT-LRT Common Station
- Globe Telecom Overtakes Rival Smart Communications in Subscriber Base by a Slim Margin
- Wish FM 107.5 Opens Online Voting for 2nd Wish 107.5 Music Awards
- UNTV Radio La Verdad 1350 kHz Begins Test Broadcast Using New 50kW Transmitter
- UNTV to Launch New Children’s Channel ‘KNC’ via Digital TV
- ASOP TV: Bringing the Best of Praise Music for 5 Years Now
- Ang Dating Daan (The Old Path) marks 36th year in religious broadcasting
- Watch: 12 grand finalists of ‘A Song of Praise (ASOP) Year 5’
- MCGI celebrates ‘Thanksgiving of God’s People’ for Q3 2016
- MCGI’s TV Verdade expands reach to more than 10 cities in Brazil
- A milestone in religious broadcasting: Ang Dating Daan aired through Facebook Live
In case you missed:
- UNTV News and Rescue announces digital terrestrial TV expansion plans
- Globe Launches Pocket WiFi Trade-in Promo, Get New LTE Device for Only Php 600
- ABS-CBN TVPlus may soon offer digital TV box with WiFi
- LRT-MRT common station to be built between SM North, Trinoma
- Globe’s free GoWiFi service now in 500 locations
- UNTV starts reporting news in local dialects, foreign languages
- Re-branding: UNTV Life is now UNTV News and Rescue
- Wish 107.5 now on its 2nd year, still No. 1 FM YouTube channel in the Philippines
- Progressive Broadcasting Corporation (UNTV) franchise renewed for another 25 years
- Now brewing: Daniel’s Coffee brings a coffee shop in a TV studio