Manila, Philippines (March 15, 2017) – Globe Telecom became the country’s first telecom operator to commercially deploy LTE-Advanced (LTE-A) four-component carrier (4CC) spectrum aggregation using the 2600 MHz band.
According to Globe, this technology effectively doubles LTE capacity in areas covered by the deployment, delivering faster internet experience to its customers.
Joel Agustin, Globe Senior Vice President for Program Governance, Network Technical Group, said the availability of the new spectrum allocation in the 2600 MHz, following the company’s partial acquisition of San Miguel Corporation’s telecommunication assets last year, boosts Globe’s capability in further improving the mobile internet browsing experience of its customers.
Specifically, the company is making use of the 4CC spectrum aggregation in expanding and enhancing its 4G-Long Term Evolution (LTE) coverage.
The 4CC technology uses four distinctly separate blocks of the 2600 MHz spectrum that is aggregated by LTE-Advanced eNode B equipment to deliver faster internet speeds.
This technology, in simple terms, can be compared to increasing the number of lanes in a highway from two lanes (in the case of 2CC) to four lanes, thereby allowing faster internet services.
“This is the first time that a telco operator in the Philippines is making use of this 4-component carrier spectrum LTE-Advanced technology and we are maximizing the potential of the new spectrum assigned to us for the benefit of our customers,” Agustin said.
To date, Globe has already deployed the technology in 110 sites mostly in Metro Manila, Agustin said.
Initial deployment covers most areas in Makati and certain areas in Quezon City, Marikina, Antipolo, and San Mateo.
He stressed that while most commercially available devices are compatible with 2-layer carrier aggregation technology, customers in said areas still stand to benefit from the deployment on account of increased data capacity provided by cellsites deployed with 4-layer spectrum, which generates speeds of up to 400 Mbps.
This year, the company plans to roll out the technology in more than 500 sites. Aside from Metro Manila, Globe plans to deploy the 4CC LTE-Advanced technology using 2600 MHz in key areas in North Luzon and South Luzon to increase data and in preparation for the availability of 4CC compatible devices.
June last year, Globe began utilizing its additional allocation in the 2600 MHz as the company ramps up effort to provide better mobile internet experience for its customers. To date, Globe has deployed around 2600 LTE sites in about 1,200 mostly in Visayas and Mindanao. [techthetruth]
- NTC Releases Draft Amendments to Memo Circular on Sale, Labeling of ISDB-T Receivers
- UNTV to Expand News and Rescue Operations, Set to Launch New 24/7 News and Rescue Channel
- ZOE’s Light Network Begins Digital TV Broadcast, Ends Analog Transmission
- MCGI Collaborates With PNP: Drug Surrenderers Undergo Reformation Program in Caba, La Union
- Php 1,000 SSS Pension Hike to be Released Starting March 3, Schedule for Lump Sum Pensioners ‘Until Further Notice’
- Watch: Philippines to Switch Off Analog TV by 2023
- Starmobile Group to Launch Own Digital TV Box ‘Starcube TV’ for Php 1,290
- PTV4 To Start Digital TV Rollout in 6 Areas by July 2017, Taps NEC for New Transmitters
- Smart Deploys Cell Broadcast Technology for Disaster Alerts, Complies with RA 10639
- Global Satellite (GSat) Updates Channel Line-up, Adds UNTV
- Globe Telecom Overtakes Rival Smart Communications in Subscriber Base by a Slim Margin
- Wish FM 107.5 Opens Online Voting for 2nd Wish 107.5 Music Awards
- UNTV Radio La Verdad 1350 kHz Begins Test Broadcast Using New 50kW Transmitter
- UNTV to Launch New Children’s Channel ‘KNC’ via Digital TV
- ASOP TV: Bringing the Best of Praise Music for 5 Years Now
- Ang Dating Daan (The Old Path) marks 36th year in religious broadcasting
- Watch: 12 grand finalists of ‘A Song of Praise (ASOP) Year 5’
- MCGI celebrates ‘Thanksgiving of God’s People’ for Q3 2016
- MCGI’s TV Verdade expands reach to more than 10 cities in Brazil
- A milestone in religious broadcasting: Ang Dating Daan aired through Facebook Live
In case you missed:
- UNTV News and Rescue announces digital terrestrial TV expansion plans
- Globe Launches Pocket WiFi Trade-in Promo, Get New LTE Device for Only Php 600
- ABS-CBN TVPlus may soon offer digital TV box with WiFi
- LRT-MRT common station to be built between SM North, Trinoma
- Globe’s free GoWiFi service now in 500 locations
- UNTV starts reporting news in local dialects, foreign languages
- Re-branding: UNTV Life is now UNTV News and Rescue
- Wish 107.5 now on its 2nd year, still No. 1 FM YouTube channel in the Philippines
- Progressive Broadcasting Corporation (UNTV) franchise renewed for another 25 years
- Now brewing: Daniel’s Coffee brings a coffee shop in a TV studio