Quezon City, Philippines (March 21, 2017) – The ‘do-or-die’ game of the best of three finals of UNTV Cup Season 5 between three-time runner-up Philippine National Police (PNP) Responders and Malacañang Kamao teams will happen 7 p.m. tonight, March 21 at Smart Araneta Coliseum.
The team who will emerge victorious will bring home the championship trophy and the top prize worth P4,000,000 while P2,000,000 for the 2nd placer, all for their chosen charities and beneficiaries tax-free.
Malacañang Kamao has chosen a group of cancer patients and Millennium Sports Support System Association, Inc. while PNP Responders picked Police Community Relations Group (PCRG) “Drug Rehabilitation Program,” respectively.
In Game 1, Malacañang Kamao defeated the PNP Responders with final scores 82-81, while the PNP Responders bounced back in game 2 beating the Malacañang team with final scores 67-61.
Awarding on Game 2
This year, cash prizes for all participating teams and individual honors were awarded on Game 2.
The 3th and the 4rd placer teams received Php 1,000,000 and Php 500,000 respectively.
3rd Place: Judiciary Magis – Judiciary employees severely affected by typhoons and calamities
4th Place: BOC Transformers – Caritas Manila, Inc.
The teams which did not qualify to the Final 4 received P100,000 each for their chosen charities:
- AFP Cavaliers – AFP-EBSO (Education Benefit Systems Office)
- BFP Firefighters – Philippine Science High School Foundation, Inc.
- MMDA Blackwolves – Philippine General Hospital – Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Philippine Cerebral Palsy, Inc. and Damayan MMDA Provident Fund
- Senate Defenders – Kythe Foundation Inc., Pangarap Foundation and Share An Opportunity Philippines, Inc.
- Ombudsman Graftbusters – Ombudsman Provident Fund
- DOJ Justice Boosters – DOJ Employees Association
- GSIS Furies – Kapisanan ng mga Manggagawa sa GSIS
- HOR Solons – Foundation of Our Lady of Peace Missions, Inc. and Congressional Spouses Foundation Inc.
- NHA Builders – NHA Provident Fund Association, Inc.
A total of P2,700,000 were already awarded for charity on Game 2.
As for the individual awarding, Chester Tolomia of Judiciary Magis bagged 3 honors: Most Valuable Player, Scoring Champion and Member of UNTV Cup Starting 5.
Harold Sta. Cruz of PNP Responders got Defensive Player of the Season.
Ian Vincent Garrido of Malacañang Kamao got Step Up Player of the Season.
The season’s Starting 5 awardees are Vishnu Das Javier of Malacañang Kamao, Jeffrey Quiambao of AFP Cavaliers, Gilbert Malabanan of BFP Firefighters, Ollan Omiping of PNP Responders and Chester Tolomia of Judiciary Magis.
Meanwhile, in Game 3, the Most Valuable Player Finals will be named.
Action-packed Game 3
Fans and audiences are going to witness an action-packed basketball game this Tuesday at the Big Dome as both teams are expected to play all out for this last game. This will reveal who wants it more for their chosen beneficiaries.
Entertainment for the UNTV Cup Finals Game 3 will be provided by Kakai Bautista and Tawag ng Tanghalan finalists Marielle Montellano, Rachel Gabreza, Gidget Dela Llana, Karl Malone Montecido and Jex De Castro.
There will be a delayed telecast of the game at UNTV News and Rescue by 9 p.m.
UNTV Cup, the league of public servants, as conceptualized by public service advocate Kuya Daniel Razon aims to promote camaraderie, brotherhood and sportsmanship among the participating government agencies through basketball.
Over the years, it has evolved into a more dynamic and exciting tournament giving the participants to play basketball alongside with their idolized professional players and the amount of money given for their chosen charities has tremendously increased with the augmentation from Bro. Eli Soriano from Members Church of God International (MCGI).
The brilliance of the concept of this league, UNTV Cup, have transcended to the personal lives of the players as their dream of playing basketball aired on national TV and in a world-class arena with professional basketball players is matched with the joy of giving or helping someone in need through their chosen charities or beneficiaries.
UNTV Cup is only on its fifth year and hopes to continue in the years to come. [techthetruth]
- NTC Releases Draft Amendments to Memo Circular on Sale, Labeling of ISDB-T Receivers
- ABS-CBN Posts Record Net Income of Php 3.5B for 2016
- UNTV to Expand News and Rescue Operations, Set to Launch New 24/7 News and Rescue Channel
- Watch: Philippines to Switch Off Analog TV by 2023
- Starmobile Group to Launch Own Digital TV Box ‘Starcube TV’ for Php 1,290
- PTV4 To Start Digital TV Rollout in 6 Areas by July 2017, Taps NEC for New Transmitters
- Globe Telecom Overtakes Rival Smart Communications in Subscriber Base by a Slim Margin
In case you missed:
- UNTV News and Rescue announces digital terrestrial TV expansion plans
- Re-branding: UNTV Life is now UNTV News and Rescue
- Progressive Broadcasting Corporation (UNTV) franchise renewed for another 25 years